This slow cook Winter recipe has great flavour and, with any slow cook recipe, the longer it’s cooking, the better it tastes!
- 1-1.5 kg. Beef chuck, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes, excess fat trimmed
- 3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 3 Tbsp coconut oil
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced (green and light green parts)
- 2-inch piece of ginger, minced
- 1 1/2 tsp crushed chilli flakes
- 1 stalk lemongrass, cut into thirds and pounded
- 1 cup organic chicken broth
- 1/2 cup tamari sauce
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 2 Tbsp Sriracha sauce
In a small bowl whisk together flour, salt, and pepper. Dredge cut beef into flour mixture. Shake off any excess flour. Set aside.
In a medium sized skillet, add oil and warm up over medium heat. Once warm, brown (sear) beef in batches. No need to fully cook meat, you just want to have a nice crust while cooking off the flour. Place seared beef in slow cooker.
In the same pot you cooked beef, add minced garlic and ginger. Cook until fragrant. Add lemongrass and cook until garlic begins to brown. Add chilli flakes and chicken broth. Transfer mixture to slow cooker.
In a bowl, whisk together soy sauce, hoisin sauce, rice vinegar, brown sugar, and Sriracha. Add to slow cooker. Add green onions.
Cover slow cooker. Cook for 4-5 hours on high heat, or 6-8 hours on low heat. Serve with rice or noodles and a side of greens.